College Profile: East Carolina University
East Carolina University is a public, coeducational, doctoral/research university located in Greenville, North Carolina, United States. Named East Carolina University by statute and commonly known as ECU or East Carolina, the university is the largest institution of higher learning in eastern North Carolina and the third-largest university in North Carolina. With a Fall 2008 enrollment of 27,947 students, it is the fastest-growing campus in the University of North Carolina system.[update needed] The North Carolina General Assembly founded ECU on March 8, 1907 as a teacher training school and selected Greenville as its seat on July 2, 1908 with the first classes beginning in 1909. While East Carolina has historical strengths in education, nursing, business, music, theater, and medicine, it offers over 100 Bachelor degree areas of study including mathematics, hospitality management, engineering, construction management, computer science, exercise physiology, political science, social work,and environmental health. East Carolina's name changed from East Carolina Teachers Training School (ECTTS) in 1907 to East Carolina Teachers College (ECTC), then East Carolina College (ECC), and finally, in 1967, to East Carolina University (ECU). The change in its name reflects the changed mission. Originally the school was established to train teachers for North Carolina, specifically the eastern part of the state. Today, ECU continues to serve eastern North Carolina in a larger capacity. The medical school brings much needed medical care to the impoverished area. In early August 2007, it was announced that the General Assembly had approved and Governor Easley signed the budget to include $25 Million for a new School of Dentistry. The Small Business Institute, through the College of Business, offers assistance and advice to small business owners. East Carolina has grown from 43 acres (17 ha) in 1907 to almost 1,400 acres (567 ha) today. The university today is located on four properties: main, hospital/health science, west research facility, and the Mattamuskeet field station. The seven undergraduate colleges, two undergraduate schools, graduate school, and one professional school are all located on these four properties. The majority of the non-allied health majors are located on the main campus. The School of Nursing, Brody School of Medicine, and some of the Allied Health majors are located on the hospital/health science campus. There are nine social sororities ,16 social fraternities, four historically black sororities, five historically black fraternities, one Native American fraternity, and one Native American sorority. Along with Greek life, there are over 300 registered clubs on campus.
252-328-6610 (financial aid)
||Public, 4-year or above|
||20,000 and above|
|Title IV Eligibility
||Participates in Title IV federal financial aid programs|
College Student Services Offered
||Academic/career counseling service|
||Employment services for students||Yes
||Placement services for completers|
||On-campus day care for students' children||
College Special Learning Opportunities
||Distance learning opportunities|
||ROTC: Air Force||
Sources: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
East Carolina University Website
Admissions Considerations & Recommendations
|Open admission policy
|Admission test scores
|TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language
Applicants (most recent fall period)
Admissions (most recent fall period)
Percentage of Students Submitting Test Scores
SAT Percentile Scores
ACT Percentile Scores
Percentage Receiving Financial Aid
Average Amount of Financial Aid Received
Average Tuition for Full-Time Undergraduates
Average Tuition for Full-Time Graduates
Comprehensive Fee for Full-Time Undergraduates
Per Credit Hour Charge for Part-Time Undergraduates
Per Credit Hour Charge for Part-Time Graduates
||Student Body Size||Yes
||Total Dormitory Capacity|
College Levels Offered
||Less than one year certificate||No
||One but less than two years certificate|
||Two but less than 4 years certificate|
All Academic Programs
- Nursing Science (MS, PhD).
- English Language and Literature, General.
- Technical Teacher Education.
- Psychology, General.
- French Language Teacher Education.
- Nursing, Other.
- Technology Teacher Education/Industrial Arts Teacher Education.
- Fine/Studio Arts, General.
- Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene.
- Business/Office Automation/Technology/Data Entry.
- Music Theory and Composition.
- Marriage and Family Therapy/Counseling.
- Chemistry, General.
- Multi-/Interdisciplinary Studies, Other.
- Education/Teaching of Individuals with Mental Retardation.
- Clinical Psychology.
- Public Health, General (MPH, DPH).
- Mathematics Teacher Education.
- International Business/Trade/Commerce.
- Medicine (MD).
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Other.
- Construction Engineering Technology/Technician.
- Kinesiology and Exercise Science.
- Kindergarten/Preschool Education and Teaching.
- Engineering Technologies/Technicians, Other.
- Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling/Counselor.
- Business Teacher Education.
- Apparel and Textiles, General.
- Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric.
- Occupational Therapy/Therapist.
- Broadcast Journalism.
- History Teacher Education.
- Library Science/Librarianship.
- Computer Science.
- Drama and Dance Teacher Education.
- German Language and Literature.
- Art/Art Studies, General.
- Substance Abuse/Addiction Counseling.
- Reading Teacher Education.
- Health and Physical Education/Fitness, Other.
- Engineering/Industrial Management.
- Mathematics, General.
- Teacher Education and Professional Development, Specific Subject Areas, Other.
- Sales and Marketing Operations/Marketing and Distribution Teacher Education.
- Public Health Education and Promotion.
- Physiology, General.
- Nursing/Registered Nurse (RN, ASN, BSN, MSN).
- Educational Leadership and Administration, General.
- Special Education and Teaching, Other.
- Public/Applied History and Archival Administration.
- Child Development.
- Music Teacher Education.
- Therapeutic Recreation/Recreational Therapy.
- Finance, General.
- Economics, General.
- Music Therapy/Therapist.
- Political Science and Government, General.
- Foods, Nutrition, and Wellness Studies, General.
- Computer Engineering Technology/Technician.
- Educational/Instructional Media Design.
- Health/Medical Psychology.
- Health/Health Care Administration/Management.
- Health Teacher Education.
- Drama and Dramatics/Theatre Arts, General.
- Area, Ethnic, Cultural, and Gender Studies, Other.
- Industrial Production Technologies/Technicians, Other.
- Applied Economics.
- Education/Teaching of Individuals with Specific Learning Disabilities.
- Management Information Systems, General.
- Dance, General.
- Non-Profit/Public/Organizational Management.
- Dietetics/Dietitian (RD).
- City/Urban, Community and Regional Planning.
- Teacher Education and Professional Development, Specific Levels and Methods, Other.
- Women's Studies.
- Science Teacher Education/General Science Teacher Education.
- English/Language Arts Teacher Education.
- Spanish Language and Literature.
- School Psychology.
- History, General.
- Molecular Biology.
- Physical Therapy/Therapist.
- Physiology, Pathology, and Related Sciences, Other.
- Audiology/Audiologist and Speech-Language Pathology/Pathologist.
- Parks, Recreation and Leisure Facilities Management.
- Exercise Physiology.
- Marketing/Marketing Management, General.
- Cell/Cellular Biology and Histology.
- Family and Community Services.
- Hospitality Administration/Management, General.
- Elementary Education and Teaching.
- Health Information/Medical Records Administration/Administrator.
- Physician Assistant.
- Liberal Arts and Sciences/Liberal Studies.
- Social Work.
- Manufacturing Technology/Technician.
- Social Studies Teacher Education.
- Interior Design.
- Adult and Continuing Education Administration.
- Family and Consumer Sciences/Home Economics Teacher Education.
- Public Administration.
- Music Performance, General.
- Clinical Laboratory Science/Medical Technology/Technologist.
- Spanish Language Teacher Education.
- Engineering, General.
- Business Administration and Management, General.
- German Language Teacher Education.
- Pharmaceutics and Drug Design (MS, PhD).
- Art History, Criticism and Conservation.
- Accounting and Business/Management.
- Physics, General.
- Geology/Earth Science, General.
- Biology/Biological Sciences, General.
- Environmental Health.
- French Language and Literature.
- Criminal Justice/Safety Studies.
- Art Teacher Education.
- Junior High/Intermediate/Middle School Education and Teaching.
- Medical Microbiology and Bacteriology.
- Industrial Technology/Technician.
- E-Commerce/Electronic Commerce.
- Technical and Business Writing.
- Counselor Education/School Counseling and Guidance Services.
- Computer Software Engineering.
- Special Education and Teaching, General.
- Athletic Training/Trainer.
- Physical Education Teaching and Coaching.
Question and Answer about "East Carolina University"
No questions found...