College Profile: Oakton Community College
Oakton Community College is a two-year community college with campuses in Skokie, Illinois and Des Plaines, Illinois. District 535 serves 450,000 residents in northeast Cook County, Illinois. The communities include residents in the communities of Evanston, Glencoe, Glenview, Golf, Kenilworth, Lincolnwood, Morton Grove, Niles, Northbrook, Northfield, Park Ridge, Skokie, Wilmette, Winnetka, and parts of Des Plaines
* , Mount Prospect
* and Rosemont
* . Residents of Des Plaines, Mount Prospect, and Rosemont need to contact that office of admission for exact in-district addresses. The college offers both credit and non-credit classes. Oakton Community College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and the North Central Association. Oakton Community College opened in 1969 in former industrial buildings at Oakton and Nagle in Morton Grove, Illinois, which was closed when the Skokie and Des Plaines campuses opened. The Skokie campus opened in 1980 at the site of the former Niles East High School, an example of art deco architecture that was used in the film Sixteen Candles. The Des Plaines campus also opened in 1980. Classes are held at both campuses. Oakton's main campus in Des Plaines is located on 147 acres (0.59 km2) of woodlands and prairie, bordered on the west by the Des Plaines River. The College,a modern, red-brick building with 435,000 square feet (40,400 m2), houses 65 classrooms and 46 educational laboratories, as well as student services, administrative and faculty offices. Special facilities include 19 computer classrooms; a Performing Arts Center; the Business Institute; the Koehnline Visual Arts Center; a Child Care Center; and a teleconferencing center, gym, fitness center, library and bookstore. The Ray Hartstein Campus adjoins a residential area in Skokie. The state-of-the-art building was dedicated in 1995 and is set on a spacious lawn with mature trees as well as new plantings. The building provides almost 165,000 square feet (15,300 m2) of space for 31 classrooms, 12 laboratories and other educational and administrative offices. Special facilities include a teleconferencing and distance learning center; a Child Care Center; and offices for student activities, the Emeritus Program, Alliance for Lifelong Learning (ALL) and English as a Second Language (ESL)/Literacy. Dr. Margaret B. Lee is the President of Oakton Community College. Dr. Lee states in the April 22, 2007, New York Times article For Achievers, a New Destination, "You don't prepare someone in this time of rapid change for a single job. You prepare them for a working life. The old academic skills are the new vocational skills."
847-635-1708 (financial aid)
||5,000 - 9,999|
|Title IV Eligibility
||Participates in Title IV federal financial aid programs|
College Student Services Offered
||Academic/career counseling service|
||Employment services for students||No
||Placement services for completers|
||On-campus day care for students' children||
College Special Learning Opportunities
||Distance learning opportunities|
||ROTC: Air Force||
Sources: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
Oakton Community College Website
Admissions Considerations & Recommendations
|Open admission policy
|Admission test scores
|TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language
Applicants (most recent fall period)
Admissions (most recent fall period)
Percentage of Students Submitting Test Scores
SAT Percentile Scores
ACT Percentile Scores
Percentage Receiving Financial Aid
Average Amount of Financial Aid Received
Average Tuition for Full-Time Undergraduates
Average Tuition for Full-Time Graduates
Comprehensive Fee for Full-Time Undergraduates
Per Credit Hour Charge for Part-Time Undergraduates
Per Credit Hour Charge for Part-Time Graduates
||Student Body Size||No
||Total Dormitory Capacity|
College Levels Offered
||Less than one year certificate||Yes
||One but less than two years certificate|
||Two but less than 4 years certificate|
All Academic Programs
- Web Page, Digital/Multimedia and Information Resources Design.
- Perioperative/Operating Room and Surgical Nurse/Nursing.
- Automobile/Automotive Mechanics Technology/Technician.
- Machine Tool Technology/Machinist.
- Liberal Arts and Sciences/Liberal Studies.
- Information Technology.
- Architectural Drafting and Architectural CAD/CADD.
- Medical Insurance Coding Specialist/Coder.
- Public Relations/Image Management.
- Fire Science/Fire-fighting.
- Biological and Physical Sciences.
- Child Care Provider/Assistant.
- Marketing/Marketing Management, General.
- Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations, General.
- Prepress/Desktop Publishing and Digital Imaging Design.
- Purchasing, Procurement/Acquisitions and Contracts Management.
- Animation, Interactive Technology, Video Graphics and Special Effects.
- Computer Programming/Programmer, General.
- Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
- Manufacturing Technology/Technician.
- Mechanical Engineering/Mechanical Technology/Technician.
- Investments and Securities.
- Real Estate.
- Social Work.
- Criminal Justice/Police Science.
- CAD/CADD Drafting and/or Design Technology/Technician.
- Administrative Assistant and Secretarial Science, General.
- Business Administration and Management, General.
- Tool and Die Technology/Technician.
- Heating, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and Refrigeration Maintenance Technology/Technician (HAC, HACR, HVAC, HVACR).
- Human Resources Management/Personnel Administration, General.
- Clinical/Medical Laboratory Technician.
- Commercial Photography.
- Construction Management.
- Information Science/Studies.
- Executive Assistant/Executive Secretary.
- Data Modeling/Warehousing and Database Administration.
- Physical Therapist Assistant.
- Data Processing and Data Processing Technology/Technician.
- Computer Programming, Vendor/Product Certification.
- Web/Multimedia Management and Webmaster.
- Computer Technology/Computer Systems Technology.
- System Administration/Administrator.
- Communications Systems Installation and Repair Technology.
- Graphic Design.
- Public Administration.
- Health Information/Medical Records Technology/Technician.
- Medical Transcription/Transcriptionist.
- Engineering, General.
- Substance Abuse/Addiction Counseling.
- Nursing/Registered Nurse (RN, ASN, BSN, MSN).
- Medical Insurance Specialist/Medical Biller.
- Selling Skills and Sales Operations.
- Operations Management and Supervision.
Question and Answer about "Oakton Community College"
No questions found...